Photo of Plaque in London Commemorating the First Postmark
The General Letter Office stood in Post House Yard - close to the Bank of England - from 1653 until 1666 when the Great Fire of London destroyed it causing significant disruption to the mail. The plaque was erected by The Corporation of the City of London and is located to view in Prince's Street (near Bank Tube Station).
© Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Got an interesting digital photo relating to the Royal Mail and British Philately we can publish? Please email it to admin[at]gbstamp.co.uk along with relevant details and publication conditions (e.g. credit/copyright permission etc.).
GB Stamp Home Page More GB Stamp Articles